Recipe of the Month
Bacon, pea & basil macaroni
Serves 4. Preparation 10 mins. Cooking time 20 mins
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 leeks, finely sliced into rings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 140g frozen peas
- 400g macaroni
- 200g pack soft cheese
- 85g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- small bunch basil, shredded
- Fry the bacon and leeks in the oil for 10 mins until the bacon is golden and the leeks soft. Tip in the peas and heat through.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta and heat the grill to high.
- Reserve 150ml of the cooking water before you drain the pasta, then add the pasta, the soft cheese, half the grated cheese and the mustard to the pan with the veg.
- Stir until the cheese melts into a creamy sauce. Stir in most of the basil and the pasta, then scatter with the rest of the cheese.
- Grill for 2-3 mins until the cheese melts. Scatter with basil to serve.